I am over the moon to share our exciting news this week! Thanks to all the hard work put in by our children & teachers over the past few years to promote pollinators we have been awarded the National Bees' Needs Champions Award by DEFRA & the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.
The judges were so impressed by all the things we do in school...these were their highlights...(though we had so many exciting things to say, we ran out of space on the form!)
- Our apiary and the colonies of bees, managed by the children
- Building SO many bug hotels, including our new 'pollinator palaces!'
- Establishing 'no mow' areas in school, where pollinators can forage
- Our 'big dig' where the children & beekeepers have sown a new wildflower patch
- Our pesticide free gardens & planting literally thousands of native trees...
- Our work on the canal path to help with establishing a wildflower 'corridor' in Kendal
Huge thanks to Mrs Harper who worked SO hard on the application...but special thanks to the children who's enthusiasm wowed the judges!